With a mission to bring the local running community together in this unusual time, Charlotte Running Club intends to host a local “Virtual Boston" community event* on Saturday, September 12, from 6 am to 2 pm. This informal group run will celebrate our local runners who attained the honor of qualifying for the 124th annual Boston marathon, which was canceled twice this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic**. While details are still being determined, here’s what we know so far:
- The course will be a 6.55 mile loop in the Dilworth / Myers Park area, supported by all four local running stores in our community.
- The loop must be run four times to get to 26.2 miles.
- In observance of public health concerns and in keeping with social distancing, there will be no official start or finish line.
- Runners may complete the course any time between 6 am - 2 pm and are encouraged to start at different times to maintain a safe social distance.
- Runners are encouraged to start at the support station of their choice: Omega Sports, Charlotte Running Company, Run For Your Life or Ultra Running.
- Support stations will provide bottled water; however, runners are encouraged to bring their own hydration/nutrition packs which they may leave with volunteers.
- All 2020 Boston qualified runners are invited to attend, but it will be an open course, meaning anyone can run.
- It is each runner’s responsibility to time themselves and submit their times to the Boston Athletic Association if they choose to do so.
Let’s make this a day to remember, for runners, by runners!
*This is a celebration and not a race. Streets will not be closed and there will be no traffic control. Runners are responsible for their own safety. ** In order to comply with current COVID restrictions, masks are strongly encouraged and social distancing must be observed. Everyone’s cooperation is essential to allow this to happen and all participation is at your own risk.